Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Way We Were/Are/Will Be

If you ask Zoey what her earliest memory is she will tell you it was when we lived in the city and there was an earthquake and I ran into her room and scooped her up, but this can't be true. Oh, I remember the earthquake, how Bryan and I looked at each other in the kitchen before one of us said "Big truck?" Then no, how we ran into Zoey's room and grabbed her from her crib beneath the large plate glass window. But she couldn't have remembered it. She was maybe 6 months old.
She used to say earthquick, not quake. And something for cereal, I can't remember. You got a feeling for a cavity, not a filling. Only the other day I finally corrected her--earthquake, too late realizing how quickly it's all falling away. Sometimes I look at her and see her making a decision because something must be done and things don't just magically happen anymore. I want to gobble her up, make it stop, everything moving too fast.
Far as I can tell there is one more word left: rememberies, the last of her toddler pronunciation. Apparently we talk about making memories a lot around here because she has always said this, rememberies or making a remembery. When she says it I think of tiny berries, for some reason, cramming them in with the joyful desperation of watching her grow up something tangible, how it all seems to be sliding from my mouth, the juice running down my chin, how most times I am a mess.
I decided that I am never going to correct her on this one: remembery.

8 comments:

Bearden 365 said...

My April '06 adorable boy's is "patter-en" as in "oh, hey Mom, that makes it a patter-en." and that's pretty much all that's left. ::sigh:: loved this post, but I kinda love them all so no surprise there :o)

krista said...

finn is losing all of hers. and i'm scared i'm not going to remembery them.

thevioletpear said...

It is strange to tell my 6.5 year old son that "oh when you were a baby you used to say noo-noos for noodles, or when you were 4 you used to call popsicles 'dainty-iced-sweets'..." It seems like this is the age when they change from little to big...I'm taking all the hugs and kisses and "snuzzling" while I can!

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you said...

i feel you so hard on all of this.

fiona said rememberies too. and remembery.
she has since learned. and i am just sick about it.

Adriene said...

This is exactly what I would write if I wrote. I want to eat my children.

Adriene said...

This is exactly what I would write if I wrote.
I want to eat my children.

Lori E. said...

I don't usually comment on your blog but I do check in occassional because I love your posts. It is amazing how you're able to write about complicated emotions and daily life in such a real, relatable way. This one in particular just tugs at my heart strings, sad and very heartfelt. Cherish every moment with your babies!

Cindy * GoodHaus Design said...

For the longest time, my kiddo's last mispronunciation was "ordaments" instead of ornaments. I didn't correct that very last one either. He finally figured it out. :(

xo