Thursday, May 30, 2019

8

Dear Ozzy,

Oh sweet boy, you funny, smart, curious little man. I feel like all of your birthday letters have been about your sense of humor, but that's just it—you're funny as hell. Have been since the day you were born, and it's only getting better. Your jokes, quips, inflection...as you get older, you just get funnier, and I cannot wait for the day when we can swap dirty jokes.

Of course you are as sweet and sensitive as you are funny. Inquisitive, questioning, kind. A long time ago, before Daddy and I were even married, I went to a psychic who told me that I would have one girl and one boy, in that order, and that the boy would have soft energy. Now after a long day of you asking me questions over and over again, of you pushing back on me with everything, of you speaking too loudly (seriously, why do you talk so loud?), I don't know if I would say your energy is soft, per se? But I do think it is something effervescent. Bubbling and round, an energy you want to cup in your hand and keep safe.

And oh how I want to keep you safe. Bubble wrap your heart, your face, the back of your neck silky and warm. You are a looker, my love, the very best kind, the kind who doesn't quite know it. A few months ago there was a dance at your school, the auditorium filled with 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds. The boys pushed around with the boys, and the girls crowded with the girls, and there you were--doing your super special fast feet dance moves that look a little ska-like, cool, asking everyone to dance with you. The girls, they loved you that night, danced with you, took pictures in the photo booth with you, gave you notes the next week at school to say that they liked dancing with you. And I? I died a little, watching how this all unfolds. My sweet baby boy dancing with the world.

Oh Ozmatoz. Please don't ever let anyone tell you not to talk so loudly--yes, that includes me. Keep dancing, keep laughing, keep looking at me with those shiny hazel eyes always on the verge of a punchline. 

Happy birthday, sweet boy.

I love you, I love you, I love you,
Mommy

5 comments:

Mr. X said...

S-

I was watching a YouTube video I had no business watching ("42 Foods You Need To Eat Before You Die") and #20 made me immediately think of you.

https://youtu.be/0SPwwpruGIA?t=3m14s

I've not visited your blog in a loooooong time, but I'm glad to see you're still posting occasional updates.

And, Zoey and Ozzy...my goodness. How grown-up and how beautiful. This ride is definitely going too fast and I want to get off.

Sending wishes for continued health, happiness, and prosperity to you all!

xoxo,
Mr. X

tyzzy said...

Your blog is one of the very first that I posted years ago under my board Blog Love on Pinterest. I keep checking, hoping that you've updated. I know that many have closed their blogs for various personal reasons. I just wanted you to know that I hope that your life and your family are doing well. We all miss you so very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi S,

I so miss reading your blogs, and wonder how you and your family are doing every now and then.
I recently read an article about Selma Blair going through HSCT and it made me think of you.

Did the treatment work for you? Are you feeling better and symptom free? I often wonder if your treatment was successful. I hope it was.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

B

Petunia Face said...

Thank you, Anon.

I miss the heyday of blogging, all the blogs I used to read, the lives in which I strangely became invested. I get it. And I do miss writing here. I miss the freedom and connection, and sometimes toy with coming back. But it’s too easy not to, you know?

Family is awesome. My health is still fingers crossed good. The treatment appears to have worked so far (!!!). I have also been following Selma Blair since her diagnosis and HSCT. While I do not wish this illness on anyone, I am glad someone as well known as she got the treatment to give it more publicity.

Anyway, thank you for checking in. Perhaps maybe hopefully I will find my way back here.

Xo,
S

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I’m so glad to hear that all is going well with your family as well as with your health.
I really miss blogging and reading my blog roll too. It seems as though writing has become secondary to pretty pictures and viral videos. Such is life I suppose.
I hope you do find your way back. I check in now and again in hope. You have such a talent for it.
All the best to you and yours,
-B