Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday: On Entropy and Barometric Pressure

There is something about a rainy day that makes me want to be a good mom. I mean, it's not as if when the sun shines hot I'm all second hand smoke and bitch slaps, but when it rains, it pours: pumpkin bread and jammies warm soft toes from the dryer.
And so it is that I don't have much time to write today. There are pillows to be fluffed, dishes to be washed, Barbie hair to be braided and I rully rully have to remember to set the Tivo to record "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." Apropos of surely something I will tell you of a quote I read in a book last night that I love, "Life was unendurable, and yet everywhere it was endured." There once was a French geologist who confined himself to a dark cave for 45 days, though when he emerged he found it had actually been 61, the brain's inclination for distortion linked to movement as it is. Time flies! No matter what, and before I know it the rain will stop and Zoey's childhood will be over.

Image found here.

13 comments:

72 and sunny said...

i never know quite what to say after these simple but poignant posts. so, I'll just leave it with 'true dat'

MFAMB said...

you are a peach.

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

With that, I'll never sing "rain, rain go away" ever again!

krista said...

you make me wish it was raining here today.

Rosalie said...

So true. Not that you were asking, but I think the sky turning cloudy and stormy kicks our natural instinct to protect and comfort in to high gear. Or, it's just a great excuse for jammies warmed from the dryer and bakes goods!

ZDub said...

I originally read "French gynocologist".

And this post makes me want to throw myself down on my Zoe's Hello Kitty bed and cry, cry, cry.

P.S. Zoey Dimon is the fanciest, sparkly-ist name EVAH and I wish it was my own.

mosey (kim) said...

I'm not sure if being a good mom includes snuggling on the couch reading books, having a lollipop, and letting her watch three episodes of Magic Schoolbus after school, but we're being cozy and savoring each moment over here too.

Enjoy you eloquent mama you.

Michelle M in KY said...

OH SUSANNAH...

So poignant and ever so more TRUE! This exact same thing has been on my brain a lot her lately. Where in the HELL does the time go? I can remember being in school and watching the clock. The days seemed to drag on and on. Perhaps my parents were exactly in my shoes then...trying to slow things down, breathe it in, rest for awhile. I, too...will NEVER sing rain, rain, go away...quite the same way as I did before. Thanks for the simple reminder...once again!
xo
Michelle

Up Mama's Wall said...

Oh, my heart just breaks to even read the words "childhood will end."
But you can still be a good mommy without fluffy pillows, right? Because ours are all flat and yellowing...

Richie Designs said...

sounds good can we come over?

Heather said...

Beautifully put. I can so relate. I've just been looking up pumpkin cookie recipes to bake for when the kids come home from school. Love fall...

liza said...

I'm not sure how I could have missed you. I'm so glad Lil Bee asked you to write a guest post. This is beautiful.

Cathi said...

enjoy each moment....it does slip by before you know it! lovely post...:)