Friday, October 2, 2009

Lamb Lule

There is a restaurant I like in the city that serves mediterannean food and the best Moroccan mint tea. Above the door to this restaurant is a stained glass window that reads Le Billet Doux, though that is not its name. I like the way the words roll around in my mouth like a kibbeh. Le billet doux, le billet doux. Cold cucumber soup and karni.
It means love letter, and for years now I have been meaning to incorporate the phrase into my life somehow, but it's like a joke that I always forget to tell. Love letter. I am the worst joke teller ever, giggling before I get to the punch line, apologizing for captivity.

(At the bottom of the menu at this restaurant are the words Anoush ella! I find that I cannot forget these words smushed as they are next to the list of desserts. Rosewater infused pudding with pistachios. Like a song whose lyrics suffer the fate of an ear worm. Anoush ella! I think it must be said with an exclamation point, Armenian for may it be sweet.)

Dates and nuts rolled in phyllo, served warm.
Happy Friday (may it be).
xo,
S

5 comments:

mosey (kim) said...

At least you get to the punchline, giggling or not. I can't tell a joke to save my life (okay, maybe a knock-knock joke) and always forget the punchline.

And it's always fun working French phrases into everyday conversation - or not. In fact, just answer random questions that way. "That's $12.50 please." "Le billet doux!"

Richie Designs said...

I love both words. especially love letter!

MFAMB said...

let me just say that it's been a long time comin for me to finally get over here and check you out. i know you visited one of my designtard posts and for that i am grateful. i think you are fucking awesome. your writing is stupid.

meinkc said...

...everything you say (on here, and undoubtedly in real life too) to your family (and to us) is le billet doux. :)

Maggie May said...

i LOVE that pic of her!