Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Not So Happy Hump Day

Sad sad news from SF this morning. Del Martin, a pioneering lesbian rights activist who with her lifelong partner became a symbol for the movement to legalize gay marriage, died Wednesday morning. She was 87.
I don't know why this hits me so hard. I didn't know her. I am not gay. But something about the story of these two women... Bryan and I got married beneath the domed ceiling of San Francisco's City Hall. I know what it is to love someone with such ferocity, but I don't know what it is for the world to not accept it.
The best way to honor her life is to continue to support equality for all.
My thoughts go out to Phyllis Lyon and their friends and family.
Love,
Susannah

5 comments:

Marilyn Eakin said...

Thanks for posting, I might have missed it. Aw, that is sad, sad news. Such a blessing that they got to marry, but a still a great loss.

MrsEm said...

Great post. Their wedding was so adorable and she seemed like such a visionary. Go love.

dee said...

It really is so sad to know how hard she fought to be accepted. Such a sweet post. I think, in some way, it's a tribute to her that Ellen and PDR got to marry recently. I just love them!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

thank you for your posting and your support :-)

Anonymous said...

The chronicle actually didn't fuck up the story on this which is always surprising. An endlessly fascinating woman. I'm only happy she won't have to live through the disappointment if her marriage gets invalidated in November. For the rest of time she'll be a legal wife.