Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Me So Corny


Blogging is a bit like going to a cocktail party where you don’t know anyone. You hang up your coat and stand there feeling a bit naked, hoping your dress is the correct attire. Nobody hands you a drink at first, there are no appetizers and you don’t really know what to do with your hands. All around people are laughing at other people’s stories. You feel fringe.
So you just open your mouth and start talking to the air. It feels funny at first, speaking into a void. You tell your stories and maybe someone smiles at you. Hands you a drink. A plate of bite-sized mushroom quiche even though you hate mushrooms so you just nibble around the edges to be polite. You keep talking and suddenly someone laughs. Someone else talks back. Introduces you to her friend. And suddenly you are not alone anymore, your words floating up into nothing. They are heard. You are heard.
I could not sleep last night. Delayed jet lag. I tossed and turned and thought of Petunia Face, what I would write about today. And really the only thing on my mind is gratitude. For Decorno, Beach Bungalow 8 and Coco + Kelley who posted such nice things about me here and here and here. For Scented Glossy Magazine who makes me laugh everyday. For the 50 or so other blogs I obsessively check daily while I am supposed to be working. For my readers, those who have commented and kept me going even when I felt like I should just go home, get in my jammies and put on some zit cream. This is by far the best party I have ever been to. Thank you.

No comments: