Friday, January 6, 2012

With Love in Her Eyes and Flowers in Her Hair

It’s my favorite moment of the day, I think, when she is in bed and we listen to what we call the Tickle Back Song. It’s not just one song but many, and for weeks we will obsess together over a certain one, play it each night, sometimes twice, cuddled together in her bed as I lazily scratch her back and sometimes sing. Telling myself it’s not as hard, hard, hard as it seems…lately we’ve been getting the Led out, listening to “Going to California” by Zeppelin, and there is something so wistful about Robert Plant’s voice that speaks to me as I lay with my girl who is growing up so fast, her body long and lean and leaving me slowly. I like to think that one day maybe twenty years from now she will absentmindedly hear these songs and remember what it felt like to have her mom lightly trace daisy petals across her shoulder blades each night.

I think maybe on Fridays I might post some of our Tickle Back Songs, if that’s ok with you. I want to remember everything about everything, and this is the only way I know how.

Nigh-Night.
xo,
S

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend! She will absolutely remember these moments. The music and memory association is so in strong all of us. What a beautiful scene. Miss you.

Pretty Widow said...

after a crazy morning spent in meetings, multi-tasking, catching up, and putting out fires, it was just so nice to take 5 minutes to DO NOTHING and enjoy this song.
Man o man that stuff is timeless.

thank you.

Anonymous said...

I sang my daughters to sleep for years, rubbing their backs and singing Silent Night and other songs(regardless of the time of year ... we all loved Silent Night). They are 30 and 26 now (yikes!) and still get smiles on their faces when I bring it up. It is a wonderful memory for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I just listened to this song last night as I toiled away on the stairmaster at 8:30 last night. I then picked up my 10 year old daughter from her swimming lesson. She was exhausted and we then laid in her bed last night as I coaxed her to sleep with my voice and let her know that her swimming will improve, she is not the worst in the class (although that may have been true) and that most things in life don't come as easy as they should. When I read your post this morning, I burst into tears. I think it would be tough for most people to understand, but I have a feeling you do. That's why I love your posts. Thank you,