Thursday, September 8, 2011

Or Is It Sheeeeit?

If all I really need to know is to be learned in kindergarten I might be fucked.
Yesterday one of the other kindergarten moms introduced herself to me--a perfectly normal social interaction, yes?--and for some reason I responded in a southern accent. Now what kind of fried green tomato shit is that, I ask?? When I waited tables in college sometimes I fell into a southern accent, but I blamed that on growing up with Flo saying kiss mah grits, plus it was good for tips so no harm. But this? I must have looked a little special confused as soon as the words left my mouth because, huh? And then I couldn't just stop cold turkey so I stammered through the rest of the conversation with very short answers trying to, I don't know, sort of taper off the south? It reminds me of this story that my step-dad, Allen once told me. Apparently he used to run into this guy a lot, a loose acquaintance, and even though the guy always called him 'Bob' my step-dad never corrected him because it was a little uncomfortable and he figured why should he? Years went by until one day the acquaintance moved in two doors down from Allen, suddenly always there. So my step-dad had to tell him that he'd legally changed his name. You know--from Bob...to Allen.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my southern accent.

Then tonight Zoey was busy drawing pictures to give to her kindergarten teacher who she adores. Finally I peeked over her head to witness the cuteness only to see that she was using my stack of Post-It notes that say Shit across the top.
Oh dear, I said, and then had to explain what they said and why it was not appropriate to bring to class. Kinda' like the time my mom caught me going to school wearing her feathered alligator roach clip for a barrette only probably not as funny because I'm not stoned.

Zoey took that shit well, though, and cut off the offending word from each of her drawings and then stuck them to all the windows in the house so that is all I see when I look out. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I am pretty sure it sounds the same with a southern accent.

9 comments:

xinefly said...

:) That is some funny sheeii***...... well, you know.

cspin said...

I thought you would appreciate this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30YW3wgRvyI

..and if you haven't watched The Wire, think about doing so.

Wowie said...

It's actually more like she-yit. The more syllables the better...

krista said...

you are hilarious. just keep talking to her in a southern accent but talk to everyone else normally. she'll think she's crazy.

jennifer said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Funny, funny, and oh so sweet!!

Adriene said...

This is why we read your blog! You're full of funny shit!

anita said...

I love you more than Paula Deen loves butter.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Bahahahah!