Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday's Child

You in your crib surrounded by plush, eyelids pinked by paper-thin threads of capillaries and sights yet seen. My blood. Your head, how you sweat when you sleep, sweet wet milky scent of skin and breath. How you lower your forehead sometimes to mine, the two of us on the floor of your bedroom reading books, closer, you come closer until you are one big starfished Cyclops, closer, and I inhale your giggle as if it were the smell of fresh baked bread.

I cannot get you close enough and so I drink in your breath, the sound of your voice, the way you look at me from under your eyelashes. Since making you I have been hungry. Your hair dusted with sand, the butter of your forearms inked with purple star stamps. You have no idea. I surrendered long ago.

13 comments:

jennie said...

beautiful post, and an amazing blog.. since I stumbled here a week ago, you make me want to pop out a kid. :P

Anonymous said...

beautiful and wonderful

ZDub said...

So sweet!

I love how they insist on sleeping with all their treasures.

Claire said...

Please save all of your posts to give to her one day - what a treasure! You say the things I feel about my girls, but your words sound so much more poetic than my simple thoughts.

Maggie May said...

yes, this is motherhood.

Jen said...

Beautiful.

Is she sleeping with a random diaper?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, is that a diaper?! Zoey is so beautiful. I have such a hard time watching Sadie sleep. It breaks my heart because I can't crawl in there with her.

Susannah said...

Yes, that IS a diaper but it's not just floating there in her crib completely random. She put a diaper on her doggie stuffed animal.
BTW, if I could do that to a real dog I would totally get one.

Anonymous said...

This is the sweetest thing ever!

Anonymous said...

that such a wonderful post. It is so true. Everytime, I pick up my son I hold him so close and try to inhale him because he is so beautiful and wonderful & nothing but love it`s truest form.

Judy said...

I know your smell and I know Andy's smell-the two sweetest scents in the world to me. I can smell them now and they comfort me. There is no doubt that were I blindfolded and put in a huge room of people, or their pillows or their clothes; I could still pick you and Andy out from all others without one do-over.

So, while Zoey will grow up and won't always diaper her dog as a sleep buddy, remember that, no matter what, you have already inhaled her into your heart and into every molecule of your being and you will never be without her smell no matter what, no matter when.

I smell you, Susannah and Andy and you are always and forever part of me and while the umbilical cord was long ago severed between us-both physically and metaphorically, I am always still connected to you...for good or bad!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Please have another kid...your blog is killin' me! Zoe is too cute. I loved her serenade too.

JJ said...

of course you surrendered. I did too (to your kid. If I could have one of her I would have gotten knocked up a long time ago.)