Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You Can't Make Me (But Oh, How I Wish You Could)


I've been cheating on you. I've been cheating on you and Bryan and Zoey and the world. Because ever since I was laid off I've been taking long naps during the day. When I am supposed to be looking for a job or working on my book or writing on this here blog.
This morning I dropped off Zoey, came home and as I closed the curtains in my bedroom and shucked off my shoes to climb back in bed I felt dirty. And so I am coming clean. Because I feel guilty and have nothing else to write about today.
When I was first laid off someone told me not to watch any daytime television. And I haven't, not one very special episode of Maury, not even a segment of The View. The internet has eclipsed the tv as my favorite form of entertainment and damn all of you and your delicious blogs. I write for a half hour, maybe check Craigslist for new job postings, then it's off to the www to see what you are all up to. Between that and my naps it'll be a miracle if I'm not living down at the Y come Christmas.
This is kind of like standing in the shower wearing a trash bag because even though I've confessed all this I'm not going to stop. Those naps? I feel as if I am standing at my kitchen counter eating spoonfuls of sweetened condensed milk straight out of the can. Thick and syrupy like a dream. Not meant to be consumed in this manner, but I'm doing it anyway.

No comments: